19 June 2013

Our Favorite Salsa


My sister-in-law, Isela, makes THE BEST salsa and showed me her technique when she was up for a visit from Arizona...before they moved to the Netherlands. Yes, I am jealous that they live in Europe and I don't. (Her ceviche is incredible too. I'll have to eventually post that recipe as well.) Anyway, a salsa recipe this good needs to be shared!

If you like it melt-your-face-off-hot, add more peppers. If you like it mild, only put in one or two. It's completely up to you. Hope you enjoy!


8-10 Roma Tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
5-7 Tomatillos (about 1 pound)
3-6 Jalapeno Peppers
1 Anaheim Chili Pepper
1/2 Onion
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 bunch cilantro (just the tops, no stems)
2 Avocados
Juice from 2-3 Limes
1 tsp (ish) salt, to taste
1 dash of dried oregano

I throw my tomatoes, tomatillos, and peppers on my BBQ grill and roast them on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. It's great if they get some burn spots, it makes the salsa tastier! If the tomatoes are turning to complete mush, take them off earlier. You can also cook them on the stovetop in a dutch oven (no oil) on medium heat. You just want them softened up and browned. Throw the roasted vegetables in a large blender (or blend in batches). I trim the stems off the peppers but the tomatoes go into the blender whole. You can add the garlic and onion at this point, too. EDIT: I used to add onion but I don't even use it in my salsa anymore, and on the rare occasion that I do, I just finely chop up a little bit of onion to taste.

When the salsa is blended as smoothly as you like it (I like mine fairly smooth) add the cilantro and pulse a few more times, but wait until it's cooled down a little because you don't want to wilt the cilantro. Pour it in a bowl. Add the juice from the limes, tasting as you go, and slice up the avocados into bite size pieces to mix those in as well, if you want. Salt and a pinch of oregano to taste and SERVE. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment